Monday, September 29, 2014

A little batty here

This was a really fun card that used a design template that was going around about 6 weeks ago!  (Yeah, I'm not very quick on the uptake).  I used CTMH papers from the new catalog called Scaredy Cat, and a retired alphabet set to stamp the "Boo".  I used the end of a pencil (eraser) to stamp the eyeballs inside the "O"s.  (giggle)

I am posting a photo tutorial below of how I made the bat!  For now, here is the inside of the card:
I used the pumpkins from the Stamp of the Month set with the Owls.  Isn't this cute?!  I colored them with pencils and odorless mineral spirits, and added the "extra" facial features with a black micron pen.
Using a die, do the unthinkable and cut a black butterfly from cardstock.
I've left the original die, the first black butterfly, and have progressively changed the last image in these tutorial photos:  
here I trimmed the ears to sharp points.
Here I've cut the opposite curve into the wing (concave versus convex?).
And continued the same on the opposite side.  Note: The tail should have been pointy-er - or even cut to look like two stubby feet about to land!  I actually fixed this before I took a photo of the final card!  oops.
Using the gold gel-Uniball pen I added two shimmering eyes. 
To place it on my card front, I had just a narrow strip of adhesive in the center section and folded the wings up so they looked like they are flying right off the page.

I was thrilled that I didn't need to purchase another die or punch. Hugs!! 

4 comments:

richardbreaks said...

You clever girl! I love all your papers, and the bat is genius!

Jeanne said...

Super neat card, Sharli! I like the variety in the papers you used. Loved the tip about the dot in the Os to make them eyes. And what you did to that die to make it a bat was so very clever! Great job!

Alanna said...

How cute is this? I love how you made the bat.

Kim Heggins said...

Oh my goodness...now aren't you just too darn clever! Turning a butterfly into a bat, so so much fun. And what a sweet little card too with all the patterned paper banners, so cute.