Sunday, January 19, 2014

Technique for Open Stamping 1/26

This is the card I designed to showcase the technique we will learn on Sunday for Open Stamping at my house.  I don't know the "real" name for it, but I call it creating "lighter images on darker paper" - that's pretty creative, huh!  (giggle)  I used a lot of different colors on the flowers just to see how the different colors looked - then I kind of liked the effect and just went with it.  

I photographed each step of the process so that my friends can see how to do this without me needing to stand at the station and demonstrate as each person gets ready to make their project (we don't all arrive, or decide to learn the technique, at the same time).  They will also have the handout to take home for the next time they want to try this one.  

I believe the person who inspired me used alcohol markers, but I opted to use sponge daubers and Close-to-My-Heart inks to color the images, even though CTMH has alcohol markers.  I like to use things people have readily available, and it's good to explore options.  

In a nut-shell: 
  • you heat emboss an image with an outline
  • paint inside the image with a white pigment ink and let that dry completely
  • add colors over the white 
I believe I'm considered a "football widow" today.  I am not complaining!  It gave me the afternoon to play in the studio!  Hope your weekend has been wonderful!  Hugs!!

5 comments:

Nancy Ball said...

Sharli, this card is so pretty! I love that flower image and how you coloured it is glorious! I also enjoyed being a football widow today!

Jeanne said...

Beautiful card, Sharli. Love those flowers. What a neat technique! Will have to try that sometime. I wasn't a football widow...I was watching and cheering and stitching away! *Ü*

Julia Aston said...

So pretty Sharli! They had a techniques challenge on Split Coast last week similar - only you colored with inks and a water brush (aquapainter) - all the colors make for a wonderful little garden on your card! what?? you didn't watch the game??!!! it was rather depressing for us here in Boston - the Patriots did quite poorly against the Denver Broncos... oh well - there's always next year!

Shirley said...

A really beautiful card and what a great technique!! I have saved it to CAS. I love how your flowers turned out and the whole card gives warmth and care!

Kim Heggins said...

This is just so gorgeous. I love the soft, sweet colors and the subtle patterned paper on the lower half of your card and such a sweet sentiment too.