Friday, March 30, 2018

As Episcopalians we observe Lent and Holy Week, and Easter doesn't get here until Easter.  Then, the Easter season lasts 40 more days!  So, I don't decorate with Easter stuff, and while I have to prepare cards ahead, I usually don't mail them until mid-Holy week.  This year I am a bit behind schedule!  

I made multiples of three cards.  Two are "real" Easter cards, the third celebrates the spring bunny that lays eggs.  My Beloved tells me that the English term Easter relates to Eostre, a Teutonic goddess of the rising light of day and spring.  Eostre is the ancient European name for the same goddess worshipped by the Babylonians as Astarte or Ishtar, goddess of fertility, whose major celebration was in the spring of the year.  Yikes.

Nevertheless, she persisted!

This card uses two new things I found at the Mesa Stamp Show.  The Celtic Cross and the background die plate.  The plate can cut and also dry emboss (using the squishy pad).  I didn't do the embossing, but instead used watercolor over my Vanilla Cream paper to make the sunlight rays look bigger.  

Regardless of how you celebrate this weekend - I hope you have a great one filled with friends, family, and fun!  Hugs!

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Thanks for the information and the beautiful card. I hope you and your husband enjoy the entire Easter season. Hugs!

Julia Aston said...

A lovely card with that beautiful Celtic Cross and the rays surrounding it - interesting info about where the word Easter came from - Happy Easter!