Monday, October 20, 2014

Water coloring with color pencil highlights


I have been so impressed by the gorgeous watercoloring people have been creating recently that I've been trying over and over and over!  Can you tell that this is my current obsession?  LOL. EDITED TO ADD: I found the inspiration for this card and was surprised at how closely I copied it! Please give creative credit to A Blog Called Wanda on this post here. In keeping with Wanda's copyright, I can attest that this was used for my own personal use. No contests, sales, etc. 

These butterflies were done with the waterbrush, picking up color directly from the ink pad and layering it on.  At the end, I decided there were a few edges that needed emphasis so I pulled out the color pencils to add a little highlighting.  These two things work so beautifully together!

But the really new, and fun, thing I tried on this card was to get my water brush full of ink and then flick it at the paper!  Yes, I did clear my work table of other projects before trying this - why do you ask?!  I love the result and in fact, I still have a small scrap that was trimmed off that I just haven't been able to toss - yet.  It looks so pretty with the color freckles!  

Below is the inside of the card:

This butterfly was stamped in the lighter color and rolled in the darker one.  Then the body of the butterfly was detailed with the pencil after it was good and dry.  I hope my dear friend who receives this for her birthday knows that she is in my thoughts.  

Just for fun, I thought I'd share a photo of the STAR of the baptism yesterday.  Introducing (again) Thomas James Grover (the baby, not the photo bomber)!  

3 comments:

Alanna said...

Your card is beautiful Sharli and the water coloring looks so good with these butterflies. Well done.

Love the pic too!

richardbreaks said...

Your butterflies are gorgeous. Not so much the photo bomber.

Jeanne said...

Wow, what a beautiful card, Sharli. Love the effect on the butterflies. And flicking color is fun, if a little messy. :) Great picture and I admit to giggling just a bit at your photo bomber.