Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sympathy Card

Thank you all so much for your encouragement about the "other" sympathy card - you are such sweet and faithful friends! I kept "fiddleing" with this until finally - at the midnight hour - I got what I wanted. This card is for a dear friend at work - she is my age and lost her Mom. While her Mom wasn't in perfect health, the loss was still unexpected! Not that it's ever easy to lose your Mom.

I feel like I knew this gracious, independent woman and that a sympathy card needed to be just right to honor her passing. Her daughter (my friend) is gracious and independent, too - and so beautiful. So - soft and beautiful. I felt like this card was finally good enough.

I used Close-to-my-Heart papers and the wildflower stamp. The French writing stamp is from Stampin' Up. The sentiment tab is from Nina Brackett "Lovely Shelf". Then, with layers, distressing, Tim Holtz distress inks (antique linen and chipped sapphire) chalk ink (warm brown) and CTMH ink (Cocoa and Olive) lace and ribbon - Whew! What a list!

Today was the 2nd day of teaching 8th grade math for my DD. My heart is soaring - she has found her place in the world! She has had (already!) so many of those moments of joy - when the light bulb comes on, or the students are so excited about the learning that they are actually having fun! Yes, and she's been caught-in-the-act of being an excellent teacher! She is putting her heart and soul in the job and is the happiest I've ever seen her!

This is how it's supposed to be - that you do something you truly love so it doesn't even feel like work, it feels like a blessing. I can't begin to tell you how much it has lifted my spirits!

Hugs!

11 comments:

Laurel said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, love that bow!

Karen B. said...

Wonderful beautiful card and such an amazing journey for your daughter, I hope she finds continued success!

Julie Marie said...

Hello Sharli... so sorry your friend's mama passed away... I lost my mama 28 years ago, much too young, and not a day goes by that I don't think of her and miss her... such a pretty card for your friend... I am happy your daughter is enjoying her new job, and in turn that brings you happiness... xoxo Julie Marie

Kathi Carlson said...

A lovely and fitting card for your beautiful friend.

I know exactly what you are talking about with regard to your DD's joy making you happy. There is nothing I want more than for my boys to have happy, fulfilled lives. We're on the same page, sweet friend!

Jeanne said...

My heart goes out to your friend, Sharli. I know the loss all too well. It's the support of dear friends and family that helps one keep on. Your thoughtfulness with the card will be SO appreciated.

I'm also thrilled for your daughter. It's my fervent hope that my girls find that calling which brings them nothing but joy. You are an awesome mom and your joyful spirit has encouraged your daughter in ways you may not fully appreciate! Hugs to you both!

Carolyn said...

Wow, your card is gorgeous! It reflects your love for your friend!

Unknown said...

Soft and beautiful--your words describe your card exactly! I love the bow and the sentiment tab. Isn't it a great feeling to create something as a caring gesture? Your friend will be so blessed.

Kudos to your DD, Sharli! To love what you do is priceless! A committed teacher always changes lives for the better. :)

Alanna said...

This is SO pretty Sharli. That bow really makes the card look so very elegant, perfect for a sympathy card.

I'm glad to hear that your DD is doing so well. What wonderful news.

mE said...

Absolutely STUNNING and I am in lurve. This is a beautiful sympathy card and I am sure your friend will love or loved it.

So happy to hear that your daughter is loving teaching! That's awesome!

Inky Smiles!
Erin

Curt in Indy said...

I can't imagine losing my Mom. . .your card is stunning. It exudes caring and concern. Beautiful work. It sounds like your daughter certainly has found her spot. I'm so happy for her. And what you said is true. One of my fav sayings is the one that states something like "Do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life." Best, Curt

Julia Aston said...

Love the buttons and bow and wonderful stamping on this thoughtful Sympathy card Sharli - so happy to hear your daughter is loving teaching!