Saturday, October 16, 2010

I had a dream . . .

Do you dream about card designs? I do, but usually I'm not able to remember the details - just some key part of it. From one dream, I remember the Waltzingmouse Star. I just had to use the star on top of a Christmas tree. This is a HUGE star folks. LOL So - the tree took a bit of fiddling. Finally I opted for felt - it seemed "heavy" enough to hold up that big star! It had to be folksy to account for the strange proportions. I stitch the edges of the tree loose, and when I adhered them to the cardstock, I pulled them in just a hair towards the middle so the center would open up - I tried to get a photo where you can see the dimension.

I hadn't used my sewing machine in awhile and had forgotten how to wind and load the bobbin. After a few miserable tries (thank goodness I've learned to practice on scraps of cardstock) I got it going. Now I've promised myself to use it more often so I can remember! Lastly, I used one of the PTI impression plates but I stacked it into my cuttlebug loosely so the impression is faint. I love the effect.

I can't believe it was last Monday when I posted - shame on me! I have been visiting and soaking in all your creativity though. Last night was a flurry of activity - strangely, my inspiration mostly came from cleaning up the table enough to find a work space! What are your plans for the weekend?

Hugs!

12 comments:

Laurel said...

I LOVE this cozy card!

stampmonkey said...

How fun that you dream of your card designs, Sharli! Can't say that happens to me very often ;( (sure would speed things up).

I love your story that goes with this card, and your creative ideas came together beautifully! That felt tree is so CUTE, and I love how you gave it dimension! Love all the stitching too --really gives it a country feel and flows great with your star topper. I'm looking forward to seeing you use your sewing machine more often too. ;)

Have a wonderful weekend, Sharli!

hugs,
Christi

Lori said...

How cool to get ideas when you sleep!!! I will have to train my brain to do that. Great job on the sewing and such a cute tree.

Karen B. said...

I dream card ideas as well, but none of them come out this original and fun! I completely see the folksy-ness of this card and it adds so much charm!

Julie Marie said...

Hi Sharli, that is sooo pretty! You are so creative, and I love seeing what all you make... hope you have a beautiful Autumn weekend... xoxo Julie Marie

Jamie Harder said...

LOOOOOVE that tree!!!! Unfortunately, I dont' dream designs but I am scrapbooking in my dreams...I just wish I could see what I am working on..LOL!!

Jeanne said...

Your posts always make me smile, Sharli. You definitely love your crafting if you dream about it. I don't think that I have done that before, or if I did, I don't remember.

Your tree is fabulous and yay for you in figuring how to set up your machine to do so. Love the cozy country feel of your card.

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Alanna said...

This is so pretty Sharli. I love the felt tree and that big star is perfect. I hope you've been having a good weekend.

Carolyn said...

Very pretty!! You have quite the gift!!
I never dream about creating, but I'll lie awake sometimes thinking about creating something. But I think that's normal. :)

Kathi Carlson said...

I love this card, Sharli! You did such a great job with the felt AND your sewing machine - once you got it going.

As for dreaming about cards, I wish I did. I dream about politics and politicians - the result of watching/listening to way too much news, I think.

Julia Aston said...

Love your felt tree and, of course, that lovely star!

Curt in Indy said...

I love the folksy look of this Sharli! The stitching is wonderful (I wish I had a machine!) The felt is perfect and I love the star. It's funny that you talk about dreaming about card design. If I am card making at night, I usually will dream that night about the cards I was making. Best, Curt