Monday, September 20, 2010

Halloween cards!!! HOW FUN!

This fabulous card was designed by Kate Whelan HERE. I was so smitten with it that I ordered the stamp set from Waltzingmouse stamps the next day. They got here Saturday and were the first thing I got to play with after I finished the fence! I've been enchanted by them - there will be a few more Halloween cards coming; I have some IDEAS!

But, about this card - I need your advice! I stamped the bats and blings on the focal image cardstock and used the heat gun to help them dry completely. I then rubbed the piece with a dryer sheet (supposed to remove static cling). I used Versamark and black embossing powder and the powder stuck very stubbornly to the bats. I used a tiny paint brush to help the stray powder scurry away - but that risks brushing my witch and she's so awesome! What tricks do you know for reducing the stray embossing powders?? Do I need to stamp the bats and leave them overnight to dry?

Another cool thing about this card - the bubbles and the magic coming out of the wand were white embossed, then colored over with dye ink markers - - - less than perfect results. I've ordered 4 copic sketch markers, I think the alcohol based copics will work beautifully! If it does, I'll re-post the next version of the card. Otherwise, the card is pretty straight forward.


Materials: Close to My Heart inks and paper; Gypsy, Pear, Black. VersaMark clear for embossing with CTMH Black and White embossing powders. The underneath "ribbon" for the purple and orange are TAPES, with the thinner ribbon put over them (I don't know where the ribbon is from - I am a terrible ribbon hoarder and buy it everywhere I go!). Waltzingmouse stamp set.

So, I love to be busy! I've had a full and fun day and I'm ready now for Tuesday - bring it on! Hope you're having a good week.

Hugs!

10 comments:

Laurel said...

Great card, love the silhoutte!

Julie Marie said...

Hi Sharli, that is just adorable! I love Halloween and all the fun things that go with it... I don't know much about making cards, but my friend Dawn does... have you visited http://dawnscrafts.blogspot.com/. She is wonderful at making cards, scrapbooks, etc. Hope you have a beautiful Autumn day... xoxo Julie Marie

Jeanne said...

What a great Halloween card! I can see why you are so smitten with the stamp, that witch is cool!

Not sure what I can advise about your technique. It sounds like you did what I would have done. If you learn a trick that works, be sure to share it.

Sounds like you have a busy week and are more than ready for it!

Karen B. said...

Hi Sharli! What great halloween colors! Love the green and purple. I debated and debated on whether or not to get the embossing tool from Stampin' Up, but finally did and I love it. I know SU isn't what you sell, but really, for the $5 plus shipping and tax it is really worth it if you emboss a lot. It comes in this little sandbag thing and I am sure it holds a mixture of chalk, baby powder or magic!

Kathi Carlson said...

Cute, Sharli! I love that stamp set, too, and what you did with it is great. I had trouble with the black embossing powder I used last night, too. I have one of those Embossing Buddies but don't care for the residue it leaves. And I do the paintbrush thing, but that can be tricky. Lots of help I am. LOL.

I hope your Tuesday was a good as your Monday sounds like it was. One thing about these busy days - they fly by! Take care, friend.

stampmonkey said...

Hi, Sharli!

I'm not a big fan of Halloween, BUT your card is really cute. ;) Love the fun colors, and I'm also in love with WMS!

I'd never have noticed you had an 'issue' on your card, but I know that heat embossing can be tricky. I'm not sure I have anything useful to offer, but I'll tell you what I do anyway. ;) I use an Embossing Buddy, go through the embossing routine, then brush off the powdery residue. It typically works just fine, though sometimes I've needed to resort to using a small, angled paintbrush to sweep away stray particles. Best of luck to ya! And when you find a sure thing, PLEASE share. ;)

Hope you're having a wonderful week, and thanks for always leaving such sweet and encouraging comments on my blog.

big hugs,
Christi

Unknown said...

I just came inside from seeing the Harvest Moon AND spectac-U-lar Jupiter, and voila, here's your "over the witch's moon" gorgeous card! Your cards just keep getting more and more special with all your details. :)

Julia Aston said...

This is such a great stamp set for cards Sharli! I loved Kate's when I saw it too - so clever with the flower swirl used as a burst from her wand! Love your ribbons on this too!

Curt in Indy said...

Don't you just love Clare's Waltzing Mouse stamps!?! This is a great set and I love the card you made with it!

I too use an Embossing Buddy. I usually don't have problems. Along with the Embossing Buddy, I make sure that I have tons of Versamark ink on the stamp so that I get a good "stick" with the embossing powder. Then, I give the back of the piece a good, hard flick with my fingers. If you have good stick on the main image, the flicking will not disturb it, but the little flecks that are hanging around usually thump right off for me. I've tried the dryer sheet, but it really only works for "static". It does not remove the natural oils that transfer from your fingers to the card stock. The Embossing Buddy does. I also noticed someone say that they didn't like the residue from the Buddy. I didn't either until I found that after I do the embossing, I simply use a paper towel to wipe away the "powder" it leaves. OK, I'm sounding like Martha now! LOL Best, Curt

Anonymous said...

Super fab card!!! Your embossing is out of this world. I have never seen embossing so mirror-like! Your card takes the cake, you have outdone me! Thanks to all your posters for the great embossing tips. I have the same problem, which is one of the reasons I don't like to emboss.