Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

When I spied this card by Lynn Mercurio I knew I had to try to make it! In my typical excited frenzy, the first one (left) I forgot to lift the face so that the star cutouts would have depth - and when I re-made it (right) I was so excited to get that part right, that I completely forgot the little trio of red brads. I put red dew drops, but on the navy paper they are completely lost. Well, I love this design enough to try again and I've also ordered some ribbon that is closer to what Lynn used. I was delighted that my Close-to-My-Heart stars fit one of the star Nesties perfectly! (yes, that's a Waltzingmouse Stamps sentiment in the right hand side!). ;-)

Monday was a wonderful day - I puttered and played, I visited Britta (she is making remarkable progress now!) and I simply enjoyed the time off! I took time to honor those who have served our country so bravely - and to remember my own Dad's military service. He fought in Korea and Vietnam.

Have a wonderful week, dear friends!

8 comments:

Laurel said...

These are fantastic!

Carla said...

Great cards Sharli! Happy Memorial Day to you!

Lynn Mercurio said...

What beautiful creations Sharli! I love your take on this design and they are absolutely perfect! It really tickles me that you enjoyed my card enough to want to CASE it. You ROCK!

Jeanne said...

Both cards a lovely, Sharli! I just love to see your enthusiasm shine through on your posts. Your take on Lynn's card is wonderful.

I'm glad to hear you had a lovely day AND that your sil is making some wonderful progress. What joyous news.

Thank you to your father for serving our country. My dad fought in the Korean War. He was a mighty Marine!

Deb Neerman said...

These are fabulous, Sharli! Love the design, the stamps, and all of the wonderful stitching!! Love 'em both, Sweetie!!

Glad to hear that your SIL is doing so well!

stampmonkey said...

Your patriotic cards are wonderful, Sharli! I love that you were so excited about recreating them that you skipped over a step along the way...not unusual or even a real 'oops' cuz happy accidents are born that way ya know...and it's a sure way to make it 'your own' design and have something fun to talk about. ;)

Wow -your dad was in TWO wars?! I'm sure he's one of your most favorite heroes, and deservedly so. I hope he's still alive and well.

And I'm so happy to hear that Britta is doing so well --that's awesome!! Thanks for the update!

Hope your week is off to a good start. ;)

hugs!

Kathi Carlson said...

Great cards, Sharli!

I'm glad to hear you had a fun Monday, and how wonderful that Britta is getting better - fast!

And a time to honor your dad. Two wars. Wow. While my heritage is devoid of military service (the sole surviving son thing), I so appreciate the sacrafices that are made.

Hope your week (a short one!) is wonderful!

Julia Aston said...

Great patriotic cards Sharli! love the punched star framings!