Sunday, June 6, 2010

Dyed fabric


As I was wandering through Joann's the other day (they were having a big sale - gotta stock up!) I spied the little "fat quarters" of fabric in the quilting section and had a moment of inspiration! These were originally white-on-white. It occurred to me that if I dyed them, the darker white parts might still appear white (or at least lighter). So, home with my treasure to experiment. First, I tried sponging ink from the ink pad onto the cloth. It was working, but it was tedious (tossed that scrap). Secondly, I spritzed one with a Tattered Angels glimmer mist (wow, that's cool!) and it quickly soaked up the color and a little bit of the glimmer. Lastly I used plain old re-inkers diluted with a splash of water. Again, perfect results. My tools were the plastic cases that SU stamps and lunchmeat come in (no relation to each other, honest). I placed my piece of fabric in the plastic container and used an eye-dropper to add the dye. There was so little mess that I think I could have just wiped it out with a tissue and called it done! (of course, I didn't do that, I washed it). So, anything fabric (flat pieces, yo-yo's, etc.) that I want to coordinate with my Close-to-My-Heart papers I can achieve with the re-inkers. Pretty cool, huh!

Yesterday I visited my SIL. I am just filled with joy at her progress! God is good to us! Today in church we heard two lessons about God raising people from the dead. I realize that my SIL's medical team had an awful lot to do with her eventual recovery - but I also believe God was there guiding them. He still has plans for her.

I'm ready for the new week - hope you are, too!
Namaste.

8 comments:

Carla said...

Ooohhh!! That is fabulous fabric! Great find!!

Laurel said...

Oh this is so gorgeous!

Alanna said...

WOW Sharli, this is amazing. I love the look it gives and glad to hear that try #3 is just what it needed. Fantastic. Have a great Monday.

Anonymous said...

Sharli your card is absolutely beautiful. Your imagination has helped us see your new techniques and then gives us ideas too. Glad to hear your SIL is on the road to recovery. Your family is in our prayers and we pray she will be at full health soon.

Have a great week my friend!!

Deb Neerman said...

Absolutely stunning, Sharli! Love this idea ... so clever!

Jeanne said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Sharli! Wow!

I'm so glad to hear of continued progress with Brita! What a sweet relief!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Wow, very impressed.

Mona Pendleton said...

Very pretty card Sharli! I love how you dyed that white on white fabric! Very creative & of course, one can't pass up a good bargain :)