Thursday, June 3, 2010

Remember Gertle Turtle? Meet Tillie!

Or it could be Gertle, who knows! Some of you might remember last spring that one morning I looked out my bedroom window to see a turtle digging the damp soil in my backyard. She was laying eggs!!! NO kidding! Well, I was SO excited and my friends helped name her Gertle turtle. Well, almost a year to the day, I awoke to look out and there is another (same?) turtle leaving a nest of eggs in my yard! I named this one Tillie - and she was in a tough spot to get a decent photo. I took this one through the sliding glass patio door. I think it's funny how she's tearing up my lawn! (good thing I'm not picky about grass). I guess I never told you, but while I didn't see the babies making their way back to the water (or get any photos), I did find one about the size of a quarter that didn't make it all the way - so I know that at least one of the eggs hatched. Maybe it wasn't such a silly place to leave her nest after all!

Today after work I went to see my SIL - she was sleeping when I arrived but woke up easily and gave me a huge smile! I helped her with hearing aids and explained that her DD was planning to call while I was there. When my niece called, it was the most joyful thing you can imagine. All three of us were grinning, laughing and crying! Gosh - even the staff at the hospital were grinning! (My niece lives in Australia - and it's been such a long illness for my SIL). My SIL is just beginning to learn to talk again (she still has the trach tube in) and her words just made us all emotional. So - more blessings!! And again, thank you, dear friends, for your support and prayers!

Hugs.

5 comments:

Curt in Indy said...

I love this picture Sharli! What a sweet turtle and how sweet of you to be so interested in her. I was so happy to hear of your SIL's obvious progress. Such a sweet story you shared. Have a wonderful weekend! Best, Curt

Jeanne said...

Oooh...I hope you are able to follow any progress on Gertle/Tillie! I think it would be neat to see little baby turtles. LOL

And thanks for sharing such wonderful news about your sil. What a fabulously sweet story you shared!

Deb Neerman said...

Gertle Returtles! Err, Returns! I'll bet my favorite stamp set that it's her! And of course we remember the story ... gosh, has it really been an entire year?!?

Soooo happy to hear about your SIL, Sharli, this is fabulous news! I'm thrilled for all of you!!

Hope you have a fabulous weekend, Sweetie!!

Julia Aston said...

How fun to have Tillie in your yard! and what wonderful news about your SIL - you have certainly been instrumental in her recovery!

Alanna said...

Tillie looks super cute and what a neat experience from last year. You'll have to keep us updated on this.

So glad to hear that your SIL was doing well and that there was laughter.