Sunday, May 24, 2009

Turtles!

I live in a wonderful little house that backs up onto a "lake". The water (especially in the desert) is a continual source of amazing things - from a black swan that stopped to say hello the day I passed my certification exams, to the night heron that has lived in my trees for 20 years. Today I chanced to look out the bedroom window and was surprised by this sight -
Here she is up close. She worked for about 45 minutes laying her eggs in this muddy nest.


Isn't life amazing!?!?!?!

4 comments:

Kathi Carlson said...

What a beautiful sight and how lucky you are to live in such a lovely setting.

Leslie said...

Wow, how beautiful. Life is amazing!! Keep us posted on the hatching when it occurs.

Deb Neerman said...

Very kewl! So nice to be so close to nature.

Do you mean your heron won't swoop down and dig up those eggs for lunch?!? The herons and egrets in my neighborhood do that all the time! It's a wonder we even HAVE any turtles down here!! And while I love to watch the turtles lay their eggs, it's so sad to see them gone in a matter of minutes.

And don't even get me started on the 'gators!! LOLOL!!

Lori said...

Wow. I would love to live where you are. Hopefully we will see a picture of the baby turtles.