Saturday, April 18, 2009

Meet Chloe!

Meet my friend - Chloe Berge. (The car, silly!)

This is a photo of Chloe's first encounter with the Police. This officer (doesn't he look thrilled?) is actually posing for me after doing a tremendous service - he etched the vehicle identification number (VIN) into each window of the car. This is one of the things they say can deter auto theft. Chloe was a spring chicken when this photo was taken. She's a fine vintage wine now! (150K miles). My local friends know that one of my favorite scrapbooks is my Chloe book. I have "Chloe's first bath" and "Chloe's first oil change" and Chloe goes here and there pages. I realized that it was a way to document some of the things that didn't fit into other types of scrapbooks. It's random with the only common thread this precious little green bug. I have a long commute to work every day - so Chloe and I spend a lot of quality time together.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Sharli, that is a cute photo and story. I have a question though. I read somewhere to cover my VIN. I have a 10 year old Chrysler Town & Country. No one would want it, but the article said if they can get your VIN number they can have a key made to fit your car and drive away with it. Is this something particular to Bugs? Back in the 70s my sister lived in DC and drove a bug. One evening after work, she worked for Hewlett Packard, she came out to the parking lot to find her bug LONG GONE.
I love that you named your car.
Leslie

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Hi Leslie, I think the newer cars have such complicated keys, that it's nearly impossible to have one made for it from the VIN. In Arizona, the thieves will take a car, if they have to replace every piece of window, sunroof, windsheild glass - then it's just not worth their effort. I think it's mainly a difference in the newer technology. My first bug was a 1968! It was quite a different car from this one (a 2002)! But I loved it.

Kathi Carlson said...

Love the name Chloe, and it's perfect for a bug! Love the green!!! I drive a itty, bitty Daewoo Lanos. Small, too, and I love her. Great idea to have a Chloe book!