Sunday, July 11, 2010

Still Christmas here . . .

I was telling Kathi Carlson the other day how I tend to create with what's out on the table! This is a good example; I had Christmas ideas stuck in my head and they needed to come out! LOL Check out the post Kathi made recently - look how different and wonderful the things she created that day turned out (here).

The papers and embossing template are from Stampin' Up. The Sentiment and inks are Close-to-My-Heart and the shadow of an image behind it is a Waltzingmouse Stamps image. (crazy, I know!)

Today is week two of my big Outreach project at church. Each year we "adopt" 25 children to get them ready for going back to school. We provide not only backpacks filled with supplies, but also clothes, shoes, socks and undies. I coordinate the effort - first I break down the task into "bite-size" pieces. Not many in my parish can take on a whole child, so someone will buy the shoes, and another person will get the backpack, and so on. It's awfully hot here, so some of the people in the parish would rather just give us a cash donation and let us shop for them. To accomplish that, I like to involve the teens - so we organize a pizza party for lunch after church, then head to the mall to shop with the money donated. We come back to the church to have ice cream and share what treasures we found. It's a lot of fun.

This year I partnered with a wonderful organization called Greater Phoenix Youth at Risk. So, the children we are shopping for are known to be in need of help. In addition to back-to-school; I'm hoping to recruit mentors for the programs that this amazing organization has going. I know this is a lot of information - but some had asked about my project. If you're still with me - thank you!

Hugs!

12 comments:

Laurel said...

Very nice, love all the texture!

Karen B. said...

Wonderful beautiful card with the colors, textures and mix of product. Good luck with your outreach too, what a wonderful thing to do for your community.

Vicki Wizniuk said...

Great card! I just got that EF, too. I'm always looking for ways of creating simple, yet pretty Christmas cards. TFS

Jamie Harder said...

LOVE your card! I am also working on Christmas stuff - doing a layout right now:-)

sounds like a WONDERFUL project you have organized!!

Carla said...

Great card! Very pretty!

Leslie said...

Christmas in July. I can't feel it. I love hearing about your outreach program. Such a wonderful way to give back to the community and you never know what your gift may do for a child. It could change a life in ways far reaching.
By the way your card is beautiful. Love that bumpy texture.

Unknown said...

Love the colors and textures, Sharli! Thanks for sharing about the outreach project for the kids--wow, they're so blessed to have you all helping them & will be excited about a new school year with new materials! They also learn about giving forward through such giving, caring people as you! :)

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful card Sharli! Love all the various DP you used & the embossing looks awesome!

Kathi Carlson said...

LOVE this card, Sharli! Everything about it is so pretty. Loving that SU embossing folder, too. Hmm...

Your back to school program is a real heartwarmer. With unemployment as high as it is in Arizona, I am certain there are more children in need than usual. Good for you!!

Hope your week is wonderful, friend!

Linda Lyman said...

Sharli,

Thanks for all you do for all the people (and children) in the world you don't know. I acknowledge you for your unconditional love and selfless service.
If any of your followers are interested in helping a child who currently lives longterm in a homeless or domestic violence shelter, they should seriously consider becoming a mentor. Youth at Risk has many kids in the east side - just waiting for consistent, caring adults. My husband and I now mentor a 10 year old boy and we love it!

Deb Neerman said...

This is fabulous, Sharli! LOVE the great mix of textures, colors, and patterns. What a great idea for holiday cards ... one I am definitely CASE'ng this Christmas!

Good luck with the Outreach ... what a wonderful give-back! You da bestest!! Sending hugs!

Paper doll said...

I really like this, fabulous turn out with the goodies you had on your table!