Saturday, July 24, 2010

Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge for week of 7/24/10

As is my habit, Saturday morning I fix a cuppa Joe - and sit down to enjoy visiting blogs. At my friend Julia's blog I see that the Waltzingmouse Stamp Sketch is up for this week, and it looks do-able! I am "house-bound" today because of workers fixing this and that. So, I'm thrilled to join in the fun again this week.

My card uses Close-to-My-Heart products with the only exception being the ribbons and the small piece of kraft cardstock. The design paper is called Grace, the stamp is Sunflower (retired, I believe - a true classic!). The card base is Barn Red textured cardstock - lightly sanded. This card uses a technique called painting with bleach for the focal point. The yellow piece is actually Daisy White cardstock that has been covered with Honey dye ink and dried. The flower and sentiment were heat embossed with detail black embossing powder. Then, using a paint brush, household bleach was painted onto the flower petals. It removed the color from the dye ink. I also removed the color from the small curve in the middle of the flower. The effect is striking - and if you're not too afraid to bring bleach to your work-table, it's actually very fun!!

Well, it was a very busy, but rewarding day. I am looking forward to seeing my friends for Open Stamping tomorrow - I love our afternoons together! I hope you have a wonderful day planned, too.

Hugs!

11 comments:

Laurel said...

This is so pretty!

Unknown said...

Oh wow! what a striking image Sharli, a great card! Thank you so much for playing along with us @ WMS!

Jeanne said...

I've never seen the sunflower stamp used is such a unique way, I don't think. Wow! It's just beautiful. The colors you chose really make it shine. Wonderful work, Sharli!

Enjoy your friends today. And thank you SO much for your lovely comments on my layouts. Your thoughtfulness always makes me feel like a million bucks! *Ü*

Karen B. said...

What great card. It has such a rustic feel to it, which is utterly awesome in my book.

Julia Aston said...

I'm SO glad you played with WMS this week Sharli! I love your bleached flower - the colors on this are terrific! Hope all your house projects turned out well!

Mona Pendleton said...

Very pretty card Sharli! Your stitching looks great! I am so happy you were housebound & could play! Thanks for playing along with the WMS challenge - hope to see you next week!

Lexxie said...

Hi Sharli,
Love your take on the WM sketch!
Please feel free to save my picture and use it for inspiration-I'm flattered!
Love Sarita xx

Kathi Carlson said...

Hi Sharli! Finally, I am able to catch up with my blogging buddies. Your cards are, as always, amazing. The bleach technique sounds like fun. I love the effect.

I hope your sister-in-law is getting better again. I felt so bad for you - and her, of course. I hope, too, your afternoon with your stamping friends was a fun one. That's what it's all about.

Have a great week, sweet friend!

Curt in Indy said...

I always love coming to visit you Sharli! I love this card. I only tried the bleach technique once and I failed miserably. You did an awesome job. I LOVE the colors in this card and that background paper is so beautiful. Great stuff! Best, Curt

Sue Lelli said...

Wow! Thanks for the bleach info. It is so pretty on your card - maybe I'll be brave enough to try it soon! LOVE that CTMH sun! Great card!

Deb Neerman said...

This is gorgeous! Love that technique on this beautiful flower ... just perfect!

Sending hugs!