Saturday, July 25, 2009

First Zig-Zag Sewing machine card

I bought a Janome Sew Mini. "Resistance is futile." This is the first card I made with my new machine! I'm happy with the zig-zag, just not thrilled with the tree and sentiment - so I'll probably re-do the focal point. Anyway - thought I'd post about the sewing!

I'm home from the new Harry Potter movie. It was good! I have read the books several times now and the collection is probably my favorite story. There is something about Harry's kindness and goodness that has always appealed to me. His friends, too, are so loyal and brave. I won't say more in case you haven't seen it yet - but if you're not sure - I would recommend you go. It's worth the time.

Several of you have commented about my organizational skills. I'm going to share a secret with you. I'm not organized at all. I just live alone with my cats, and don't go out a lot. I love playing with my scrapping things. I do like to be ahead of the game (in work and home life) so any project assigned, whether it be a report at work or a swap I'm participating in will be tackled right away and prepared well in advance of the due date. Sometimes I've prepared so far ahead that I have to revisit the project to remember what I was thinking! LOL

I'm a HUGE believer in lists. When I have a moment, perhaps early to a meeting (yes, that happens too), I pull out a piece of paper and make a quick list of what I need to do before the Open Stamping at my house on Sunday (for example). Then I LOVE crossing things off my lists. It's silly - I know; but sometimes I even write things down after I've done them just so I can cross them off. So, now the cat's out of the bag.

10 comments:

Alanna said...

Your card is lovely Sharli. I love the sewing. I've got to get a little sewing machine just for this reason.

As far as your lists, your comment about sometimes writing things down on a list after you've already done them just so you can cross them off is something that I've done many a time. I figure it makes me feel good and gives me more motivation to keep working on whatever my list may be. There, my cat's out of the bag as well. I'm certainly glad that I'm not the only one.

Julia Aston said...

I just got a Jenome too and I love how easy it is to work (I have a big machine but it was such a project just to get it out and set it up!) Nice zig-zagging here Sharli!! LOL!!! very pretty card - love the blue - I'm supposed to go and see Harry with my son's fiance - we go to each new Potter movie together - but we haven't worked out a time yet - we'd better get going on that....!

Leslie said...

Sharlie, your card is great. If you really want to change it you may have room for a 3rd layer and just redo the tree. Great rock & roll technique.
Thanks for the info on gatherings. I wish my house was set up for guests so I could host gatherings and workshops. Maybe some day.
I too like to get places early and finish a job early and not wait until the last minute.

Jamie Harder said...

Cute card!! Love the sewing.... i totally need to buy a sewing machine:)

Lori said...

Sharlie,
I love your card...especially the tree. One of these days I am going to have to get one of those sewing machines. You did a beautiful job of sewing. I would love to see a picture of your scraproo. And, I am trying so hard at getting organized. That is not one of my great skills.

Kathi Carlson said...

Great card, Sharli! And congratulations on your Janome! I've thought about one of those little machines so many times but have managed (so far) to resist. Your stitches, by the way, are perfect.

Thank you for the tips! My organizational problems are due to proscratination which is due to perfectionism - a dibilitating trait. I've got it all figured out but procratinate in doing anything about it. LOL. At least, I perform well under the gun, which is where I usually find myself.

Enjoy Sunday, friend!

Jeanne said...

Excellent card, Sharli! I've recently been thinking about getting a Janome mini because my full size machine is sort of a pain to get out. I thought having one machine for fabric and one for paper might be a good idea, too.

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag regarding your organizing...making lists isn't a habit I've developed, so maybe I need to start practicing!

Kris said...

What is funny is that just this morning I was thinking "that Sharli is so organized, I really need to pick her brain and find out what her secret is." Then I read your blog and my questions were answered. I too am a firm believer in lists, I don't think I'd ever get anything done without them! I need to work on getting things done ahead of time though :) Thanks Sharli!

Leslie said...

Sharli, It is so easy to put an e on your name as my husband's name is Charlie. I have to catch myself every time I type your name. Please forgive if I don't catch it. I hope you didn't give yourself eye strain trying to find the non existent worm on my card. :-) I added him after I took the photos. I shouldn't have mentioned him, huh? Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. You are so good about your warm fuzzies.

Deb Neerman said...

LOVE the sewing! I really need one of those Janome's .. my big machine is such a pain in the neck to drag out.

Okay, I like THIS rendition just as much as the newest one. For what it's worth .. jess wanted you to know ...