Sunday, August 23, 2009

Thinking about Christmas

My card was inspired by Beate (here). I used different everythings - but the layout and the idea of putting the colors together poorly mimic her beautiful card. I don't think I've got the dimensions quite right yet - I may try it again with smaller nesties. Of note is that I used a scrap piece of photo paper (i.e. glossy) and cut the oval shape out of it with the nestabilities. Then I used the template (not the oval but the left-overs) to mask the card and sprayed it with a New England Ivy Glimmer Mist. You can almost see the shine in this photo (usually it's not visible at all - so I was surprised that it showed up).

I'm trying to decide on a Christmas card for my own personal use that I am willing to make 50 or 100 times. I'm planning a road trip with 2 other stamping friends in a couple of weeks and I'd like to have it ready to go into production by then. We won't have much room for packing anything - so I will need to be very specific about what I take (maybe only what I can hide in my purse!).

Thank you, dear friends, for your sweet supportive comments about my kitties. I am at peace. I did catch myself wandering the house looking for them, but it's only the first day. Yes, Jane, I will probably get another "furson". (I love that word!) But not right away - I need to try living without pets for once (I've always had dogs or cats or both). We'll see what God has planned for me. I'm finding that each time I go through the loss of a precious pet - I am less willing to do it again. Know what I mean?

Namaste. (Yoga-speak for: "The light within me honors the light within you")

7 comments:

Laurel said...

A very pretty card! I love that stamp.

Anonymous said...

I love that stamp too Sharli! If you can stand one more kitty comment, don't let your hurting heart stop you from giving a loving home to another furson. When the time is right you will know-- keep your heart open!
Hugs,

Unknown said...

Really pretty card, Sharli--the glimmer mist & ribbon are great accents for the gorgeous color combo. There is a little furson out there waiting for you when the time is just right for you. I still miss Sophie, our yellow Lab who died in January, but am being patient while waiting to rescue a new friend someday! Happy week!

Kathi Carlson said...

Very, very pretty! Love the colors, stenciled oval that sparkles, the stamp - everything about it!! You judge too harshly, my friend!

Glad to hear you're feeling OK about your furry friends. After five years without a dog, I want another but Marv isn't ready. One day ... maybe.

Jeanne said...

Such a pretty Christmas card! Good luck figuring out the design you are willing to make many of.

I'm glad to know you are doing okay. Losing a pet is SO hard, I know. Give yourself time to remember your furbabies before you decide what you'll do in terms of adding another.

Julia Aston said...

I love the shimmery spray oval Sharli! it looks so nice around that great reindeer - I know exactly what you mean about being petless for a while - they are wonderful to have - but you do need to be there for them or provide other ways if you travel - and it is so terrible to lose them.... I'm sure it will work out the way it's supposed to..

Deb Neerman said...

Love the card, Sharli ... I think it's perfect the way it is!

I'm a cat-person and my heart goes out to you on the loss of your darlin' babies. It's so painful to lose them but console yourself with the thought that they had wonderful lives with you.

I've always had cats and the cat has always come to me!